FIV150 – 1.00 Hours
|LS FIV150 9||Register|
This schedule is subject to change without notice. If you have not received confirmation of the class prior to the class start, please contact the division at (800) 423-8433 or [email protected] to get the latest schedule.
The Spring 2023 program, class dates of 01/17/2023 to 05/11/2023, is shown above as LS FIV150 9 in the schedule.
Those who investigate and process crime scenes perform a critical role in the criminal justice system as their findings are the underpinnings of criminal casework that determine verdicts of guilt or innocence. The Collegiate Technical Investigation Skills Program (CTISP) is a blended learning opportunity consisting of 272 hours of specialized forensic training. Participants learn sound, field-tested, current methodologies and technical skills rooted in science-based practices. This application-intensive program instructs participants how to effectively identify, document, collect and process evidence found at crime scenes as preparation for employment in the forensic industry.
CTISP is delivered through a collegiate semester-based course offering schedule and consists of a mixture of eLearning courses, traditional classroom instruction and practical application. Participants have dual enrollment in the TEEX Texas Forensic Science Academy (TFSA) and Blinn College. Upon successful completion of this program, participants receive 18 hours of collegiate credit through Blinn College and a Forensic Investigation & Evidence Management professional certificate through the TEEX Texas Forensic Science Academy.
The course fees for CTISP total $5,480.00 This amount is paid directly to Blinn College by the participant. The Federal Criminal History Background Check totaling $50.00 is a separate fee paid directly to TEEX by the participant (unless the participant makes arrangements for another provider to conduct the background check). This fee, regardless of result or admittance into CTISP, is non-refundable.
Participants enrolling in this program musts be admitted to Blinn College as a student. If you are not yet enrolled at Blinn College, please visit: http://www.blinn.edu/admissions/steps-to-apply.html to apply. Note: TEEX Academy participants currently attending Blinn College, or for those that it has been less than one full semester since last attending Blinn College, do not need to reapply. Those participants who have attended Blinn College beyond that time in the past, but attended no colleges since, still need to apply; no transcripts will be needed in this instance. If you have any questions about the Blinn College requirements, please contact Robert Stanberry at (979) 209-7399 or [email protected]
Sallie Mae funding is now available as a funding source to be able to attend CTISP. Refer to “Other Information” at the end of this page for instructions on how to apply.
- Participant must have received a high school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Participant must complete and submit a Federal Criminal History Background Check.
- Participant must be at least 18 years of age before the program class end date.
For admission into the program:
- Participants are to register online through the TEEX Student Portal
- Provide a copy of their high school diploma/GED equivalent
- Submit a Release for Federal Criminal History Background Check
After online registration, participants submit their high school diploma/GED equivalent. A background check release form will be sent to the participant via email.
Important dates to remember:
- For admission into the Spring 2023 program (01/17/2023 – 05/11/2023), shown above as LS FIV150 9 in the schedule, the release form is due by January 9, 2023.
Notification concerning admittance into the program will be made via email.
Course Completion Requirements
Courses Included in the Program
|Blinn Course Listing||TEEX Course Listing|
|CJLE 1394 Special Topics in Law
|CJSA 1308 Criminalistics I|
|CJSA 2334 Contemporary Issues in Criminal Justice|
|CJLE 1345 Intermediate Crime Scene Investigation|
|CJSA 1342 Criminal Investigation|
|CRIJ 1306 Court Systems and Practices||
Online Course Technical Requirements
To successfully complete this online course, you should have access to a computer with the following system requirements:
- Computer tower or laptop
- Note: The use of a tablet is not recommended and may result in connectivity issues.
- Broadband or high-speed internet connection
- Recommended: Wired connection with at least 2.0 Mbps bandwidth (bi-directional, i.e. sending and receiving)
- Alternative: Wireless (WiFi) connection
- Note: The use of a MiFi or mobile hotspot is not recommended and may result in connectivity issues.
- Current version of web browser
- Recommended: Mozilla Firefox 96 or higher, Google Chrome 97 or higher
- Alternative: Safari 15 or higher
- Note: Microsoft Edge is not currently a supported browser.
- Adobe Acrobat Reader 17 or higher
Participants must wear full length pants/jeans, short/long sleeve shirts (no sleeveless shirts), and closed-toe shoes to the traditional classroom instruction and practical application sessions.
Participant Must Provide
- A photo identification on the first day of class. See the Participant Handbook for approved forms of identification and additional guidelines.
Class attendance is an essential part of the education process, and participants in TEEX courses are expected to attend all class sessions and field exercises. The course requires participants to attend a minimum of 80% of the class hours as a component of successful course completion. During the course, your instructor will review any additional attendance requirement, for example a field exercise that cannot be missed.
Participants in a TCOLE credit course must complete the class in its entirety to receive TCOLE credit.
- Collegiate students seeking technical training to prepare them for employment requiring investigative skills such as crime scene investigators, fire investigators, detectives, medicolegal death investigators, patrol officers and forensic nurses.
Continuing Education And Professional Credits
Note: Live Online Instructor-Led (webinar) courses are not eligible for TCOLE credit.
- 232.00 hours – Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE)
- 80.00 hours – International Association of Identification (IAI)
- 232.00 hours – Texas Education Agency (TEA)
To receive required application documents and instructions, send a request to [email protected]. Documents may be faxed, mailed, or hand delivered to the TEEX Texas Forensic Science Academy at the Institute for Law Enforcement and Protective Services Excellence.
Participants of the Collegiate Technical Investigation Skills Program (CTISP) must also be enrolled in Blinn College. For inquiries related to Blinn College, please contact Robert Stanberry at (979) 209-7399 or [email protected]
Passing a Federal Criminal History Background Check is required for admittance into CTISP. It may be conducted by TEEX for a fee of $50.00. This fee, regardless of result or admittance into CTISP, is non-refundable.
Sallie Mae funding is now available as a funding source to be able to attend CTISP. Follow the instructions to apply for Sallie Mae funding:
- Go to https://www.salliemae.com
- Click on Apply for a loan
- Select what best defines you: Student or Cosigner
- Select the type of loan that best describes that type of program your loan is for
- From the State drop-down select Texas
- Type in BLINN COLLEGE, BRENHAM, TX, 00354900
- Complete the remaining Sallie Mae application process
Note: Approval criteria are based on Sallie Mae’s rules. TEEX has no influence on outcomes. Approved loans must be finalized no later than 45 calendar days before the start of the class to ensure your funds are credited in time to complete your registration.
Phone: (979) 845-6677 | Toll-Free: (800) 423-8433
Email: [email protected]
- Course fees and enrollment for CTISP is handled through Blinn College. The course fee total is currently $5,480.00. Please contact Robert Stanberry at (979) 209-7399 or [email protected]
- Sallie Mae funding is now available as a funding source to be able to attend CTISP. Refer to “Other Information” at the end of this page for instructions on how to apply.
- Passing a Federal Criminal History Background Check is required for admittance into CTISP. It may be conducted by TEEX for a fee of $50.00. This fee, regardless of result or admittance into CTISP, is non-refundable.
Note: Your registration is NOT complete until you have completed and uploaded, faxed, or emailed a Release for Federal Criminal History Background Check.